According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should keep in mind.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are completely opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear something other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you peek inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or pet hair?
5. Have insects or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Redhawk Heating & Air Conditioning in Odessa about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Redhawk Heating & Air Conditioning. A regular checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system running at peak performance. Examining your system on a regular basis and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts clean.
Other ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and put in new filters when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in poor or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts clear will help you make sure the air in your Odessa home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Redhawk Heating & Air Conditioning at 432-237-0168 or arrange an appointment online.