Spring is in the air here in Odessa and that means vacation plans are on the horizon. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what stays behind, your home. The Redhawk Heating & Air Conditioning team has some tips that will assist in keeping your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home seem as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to correspond with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re you’re on vacation letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your fabulous trip on social media, but try to put it off until after you return to post anything about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as excited about the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to conserve energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug some of your electronics. Something that you may not think of unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no sense keeping your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Redhawk Heating & Air Conditioning in Odessa a call at 432-237-0168.